High Level Overview
1. Either install Windows Server 2012 Datacenter on your host or run VMware ESX-something version
2. Once DataCenter is installed, install the Hyper-V Role
3. Create a couple VM’s (I’ll create a future post that lists these steps)
4. Install Windows Server 2012 Datacenter on these VM’s if you’re creating a SP 2013 lab, use Windows Server 2008 R2 if you’re creating an earlier version of SharePoint Farm.
5. After you have two VM’s that are running an OS, install the appropriate SQL version on one (2012 SQL if you want all the bells and whistles in SP 2013) and then install SharePoint on the other VM.
I’ll write up the detailed steps in future posts.