Building a SharePoint 2016 Home Lab
This book is a step-by-step guide to building your own SharePoint farm in a home lab setting. Learn how to build a windows domain and then join servers into the domain in order to create your own testing and learning environment. After you get the domain stood up, where you go from there is up to you. This book will help you learn how to spin up SharePoint in a least privileged fashion. This isn’t strictly a SharePoint book, though. For example, if you’re not a SharePoint professional and are just looking to create a working windows domain for other purposes; the home-lab domain that you’ll create will work great for Exam preparation for non-SharePoint purposes. You could even use it for learning how to install Exchange Server. After all, it’s your Home Lab domain. In this book you will build your home-lab domain and you’ll have a great place for learning how to administer SharePoint and develop SharePoint Apps. Here are just some of the tasks you’ll complete in easy to follow exercises:
- Create a windows domain and a certificate authority, so that you can run SharePoint on SSL
- Join servers to the domain and configure other technology on the member servers as needed
- Install SQL Server, and correctly partition the server in accordance with best practices
- Install and configure a SharePoint farm
- Spin up Host Named Site Collections (HNSC’s)
- Install and configure Visual Studio
Who This Book Is For:
This book is suitable for both developers and administrators. No technical knowledge is assumed beyond a general familiarity with computers and computing terminology. The resulting domain will be suitable for both IT and developer testing needs.
Utilize a treasure trove of free SharePoint troubleshooting tools and receive insightful guidance about the types of SharePoint issues that can be discovered through their use. Chapters in this book contrast solid and least privileged builds in order to help you understand the types of issues that are raised when farms are not built the least privileged way.
Because SharePoint errors often present themselves one way, when an issue is actually something entirely different, the process of finding the root cause can feel like going down a rabbit hole. Hands-on exercises get you comfortable with logs so you can efficiently and effectively “explore the rabbit hole.”
Troubleshooting SharePoint also demonstrates how to identify components and settings that enter an environment where access has been restricted. The author shares his proven methods for researching an issue based on what appears in the logs, with the understanding that often it is not as simple as asking a question, but how you ask it that leads to the right answer.
What You’ll Learn
- Utilize networking tools such as NetMon, WireShark, and Fiddler for troubleshooting
- Master SharePoint PAL, Webalizer, Indihaing, Developer Dashboard, the Feature Admin tool, and more
- Become proficient using Timer Jobs and Search Diagnostics
- Understand how various files are accessed by IIS sites and within the server file system
- Discover how IIS mappings and file permissions affect issues
- Troubleshoot with ULS Viewer, PowerShell, and tools such as ProcMon, PerfMon, and Event Viewer
- Meet your new best friend, the ULS Viewer
- Use Event Viewer as a troubleshooting source
- Become conversant in the “language” of SharePoint from the log’s perspective
Who This Book Is For
SharePoint administrators and developers who want to learn how to quickly diagnose and resolve issues in any SharePoint server in SharePoint farms where admin access is possible
SysKit Security Manager
- SysKit Security Manager is a powerful solution for monitoring and troubleshooting your SharePoint server, SharePoint Online, and O365 SharePoint permissions.
- See all permissions from one place – Being able to review all permissions from one place will definitely help with keeping your SharePoint environment safe, both on-premises and online!
- Explore permissions in real time or you can review historical data using snapshots of the permission settings
SharePoint Security Management
- Manage permissions for users, SharePoint and Security groups.
- Grant, copy, transfer permissions in bulk.
- Create SharePoint groups and manage members.
- Move users with direct access to SharePoint groups.
- Manage access requests and external user invitations.
Create snapshots of all the permissions for your sites, lists, libraries, documents, and items.
The interface is intuitive and user-friendly, which enables you to get an overview of your farms’ permission settings in no time.
Centralized Office 365 groups reporting and management
- List all groups in the SharePoint Online tenant and get an overview of each group’s owners and members.
- Explore associated Office 365 groups’ site collections.
- In a few clicks, create a new group, set privacy levels, assign owner(s) and add members.
- Easily remove group owner(s) and member(s).
- Delete groups using one interface and maintain a clutter-free environment.
- Microsoft Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, W
- indows 10 or later are supported (64-bit only)Windows Server editions: Windows Server 2008 R2 – 2016, all editions
- Please note that we do not recommend installing the application on a server which is part of a SharePoint farm.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or higher
- CPU – any Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 capable CPU with at least two cores
- Memory – up to 512 MB (1GB recommended)
- Disk – 150MB of available hard disk space
- 1366×768 or higher resolution video card
- SysKit Security Manager Setup will install and configure a new instance of SQL Server Express 2016 Service Pack 1 LocalDB named SSMInstance
- User must have proper privileges to successfully run the application.
User Permission Requirements
- Local administrator on all the machines you want to monitor. Both SharePoint and SQL server.
- Site Collection Administrator on the desired SharePoint Online or SharePoint On-Premises environment
- In order to fully utilize management options of SysKit Security Manager for Office 365 Groups you need to be given consent by a Global SharePoint Online Administrator.
Customized Personal IT Training
You can request personalized training on a number of topics in one hour increments: SharePoint Administration SharePoint Configuration SharePoint Architecture SharePoint Troubleshooting Active Directory Active Directory Federation Services HTML, CSS, and web page design PowerShell Office 365 administration Azure administration … Read More